Subject: PIPEing
From: M D Cox <mcox>
To: [email-masked] (AMOS Mailing List)
Date: Sat, 23 Jul 1994 12:43:33 -0400 (ADT)

Has anyone ever written a program to accept STDIN or piping?  For
instance, if I wrote a program called WC that would count the number of words
and lines in a text file, would I be able to:

type textfile.txt > WC

or

type textfile.txt | WC

I know i can do: WC textfile.txt, but then could I do:

WC textfile.txt > result.txt

with result.txt being created and containing the output of WC?

If anyone is familiar with programs like AWK or GREP, help me out if you
can, please!  :)

Mike
-- 
Michael Cox                             Work:   [email-masked]
A1200/120 w/1230XA 50/50/4 = SPEED!     Play:   [email-masked]
             For info on the AMOS Mailing List, contact me!
             For AMOS Pro news, finger [email-masked]